Taking proper care of your mini-split system is essential for its longevity and efficiency. Regular maintenance helps keep your unit running smoothly and avoids costly repairs or replacements down the road. However, there are some common mistakes people make when caring for their mini-splits that can cause serious issues with the system. Let’s take a closer look at 8 common mini-split maintenance mistakes to avoid at all costs:
- Ignoring Filter Maintenance: One of the most important aspects of mini split maintenance in Lake Zurich, IL is ensuring that filters remain free from dirt and debris, as clogged filters can prevent air from passing through efficiently, resulting in higher energy bills and decreased performance. Be sure to check and clean your unit’s filter regularly to avoid this issue.
- Failing to Change the Coolant: An inadequate coolant level can reduce your unit’s efficiency, while an overabundance of coolant can result in a frozen system. Have your HVAC technician check and refill the coolant levels regularly to ensure optimal performance.
- Skipping Regular Inspections: It’s important to have a professional inspect and service your mini-split system at least once a year to identify any issues before they become serious problems. Doing so will also help extend its lifespan and maintain its efficiency.
- Ignoring Leaks: If you notice any dripping or pooling near the unit, it likely indicates a leak from one of the air ducts. Leaks can cause a decrease in efficiency as well as potential water damage, so you should have it checked out by an HVAC technician as soon as possible. Mini split AC replacement in Long Grove, IL may be necessary if the problem is severe.
- Neglecting Coil Cleaning: The evaporator and condenser coils accumulate dust and debris over time, which can block airflow and reduce the system’s overall performance. Scheduling regular maintenance with an HVAC technician to clean the coils is essential for keeping your mini-split running smoothly.
- Failing to Check Refrigerant Levels: Low refrigerant levels can be caused by a number of issues, including air leaks or a faulty valve. It’s important to have your HVAC technician check your unit’s refrigerant levels regularly to maintain its efficiency.
- Overlooking Condenser Unit Maintenance: The condenser unit of a mini-split system is essential for cooling the air, and as such should be checked for wear and tear periodically. Failing to do so can result in decreased performance or damage to other components down the line.
- Not Scheduling Yearly Tune-Ups: In addition to having your condenser unit inspected, you should also schedule routine tune-ups with an HVAC technician once a year. This will help identify any minor issues before they become major problems, ensuring your mini-split runs at peak performance all year long!
By avoiding these common mini-split maintenance mistakes, you can ensure your system runs optimally and provide reliable cooling for years to come. If you need help with mini split or air conditioning installation in Barrington or Hawthorn Woods, IL, or other types of HVAC services, be sure to contact Aaron & Trecker Heating & Air Conditioning today. We offer a wide range of heating and cooling services to keep your home comfortable, no matter the season! Give us a call today for more information.